My photo
Welcome to my travel blog! I'll share adventures I've had, some I'd love to have, and some I'm writing about in my first murder mystery, The Body at Battle Mountain. The idea for the book sprang from a trip with my sister, towing her 30-foot travel trailer across several states. Luckily, we didn't find any dead bodies! My most recent adventure was a month-long USA road trip with my husband, so let's start with the joys and frustrations of the road.

Blog Archive

Friday, September 7, 2012

Washington D.C. -- The National Mall

Day 25:  Our last morning in D.C. we walked the National Mall past the Smithsonian museums, and on from there to the monuments. We scored some Metro passes from a friendly couple who had finished their exploring, so our last trip into town was free. What more could we ask? Okay, I could have asked for cooler weather. I was melting, but much to my surprise, D.C. was Greg's favorite part of the trip! I'm already planning another visit for when our granddaughter Chelsea graduates from high school. We didn't have enough time to see everything on this trip, but we did see these.

Smithsonian Museum of Natural History


Smithsonian Castle
The Smithsonian Castle was built in a style called "Faux Norman," a combination of Romanesque and Gothic. The stone is red Seneca sandstone from the surrounding area. The castle was home to the museums until the beginning of expansion to other buildings in the 1960's.












Many statues honor American heroes on the walk along the reflecting pool in West Potomac Park. This one is of John Paul Jones, a Scottish immigrant who accepted a commission as a captain in the new Continental Navy after the start of the Revolutionary War. To the British, he was "a pirate." To America, he was a hero of the cause, and exemplified the ideal of success through achievement rather than by birth right.















The Washington Monument stands alone in a green park between the National Mall and West Potomac Park.











The World War II Memorial is at the head of West Potomac Park, and before the relecting pool that connects it to the Lincoln Memorial at the far end. Fountains, sculptures and other features highlight the various theaters of war and the branches of the American Military.


Greg walking through the World War II Memorial (Lincoln Memorial in background)

The Lincoln Memorial























From the Lincoln Memorial, you can look back across the length of the reflecting pool to the Washington Monument. Unfortunately, the reflecting pool had been drained for repairs and wasn't reflecting much of anything.









The Vietnam War Memorial includes "The Three Soldiers" statue, The Viet Nam Women's Memorial, and, of course, the famous Wall. I cry every time I walk the wall. It's truly an emotional experience. It is beautiful, and sad.










The wall is polished and reflective, and inscribed with name after name of the fallen. I snapped this picture as Greg and I walked along the tallest section.











We finished our tour with a rest in the shade alongside the lake near the WWII Memorial.







We've shown only a sampling of the many wonderful sights available in this area--history, art, innovation and archives--where we honor both our proud moments and our bitter ones, and hope to take the lessons from them into a better future.



Greg and I strolled back to the Metro station, passing the Jefferson Memorial along the way. Then we bid adieu to Washington D.C., and turned homeward. Join us next week as we travel back across the country by a different route.




No comments:

Post a Comment