My photo
Welcome to my travel blog! I'll share adventures I've had, some I'd love to have, and some I'm writing about in my first murder mystery, The Body at Battle Mountain. The idea for the book sprang from a trip with my sister, towing her 30-foot travel trailer across several states. Luckily, we didn't find any dead bodies! My most recent adventure was a month-long USA road trip with my husband, so let's start with the joys and frustrations of the road.

Blog Archive

Friday, July 20, 2012

New York State

Days 14-15:  One of the best things about traveling is visiting friends who have moved away. After leaving Niagara Falls, we made our way through New York's densely forested countryside to Ithaca, home of Cornell University and our friends, Adriana and Rob, who own a farm outside of town.

We got the grand tour, and heard stories about the animals that inhabit the surrounding area--including a bear!

Here, Rob and I are discussing the mower he uses to keep the wilderness at bay--at least the plant life. Obviously, I had some sage advice (not). He listened politely, anyway.






Robby Jr. looks like he's more interested in Greg and me than the huge woodpecker hole in this tree. Of course, he'd seen it before.

A pileated woodpecker caused this damage. We were astounded by the huge pile of wood chips at the base of the tree! The woodpeckers in California are little guys, but the pileated woodpecker can be 16 to 19 inches long.






 Back at the house, Greg made music on Robby's little guitar, and Adiana posed with baby Bruce.















Rob and Adriana told us about some local attractions, so after saying good-bye, and before hitting the road again, we checked out beautiful Taughannock Falls...











...and the Museum of the Earth. At the time, the museum had a special display for children done by paleontologist Kirk Johnson and artist Ray Troll, as well as a wonderful collection of fossil specimens.






























Both the falls and the museum were wonderful diversions and added much to our memories of New York.











Now the pressure is on. It is day 15 and we have to make the 400 miles to New Hampshire by day 16 of our trip. Will we make it in time? Join us next week to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment