My photo
Welcome to my travel blog! I'll share adventures I've had, some I'd love to have, and some I'm writing about in my first murder mystery, The Body at Battle Mountain. The idea for the book sprang from a trip with my sister, towing her 30-foot travel trailer across several states. Luckily, we didn't find any dead bodies! My most recent adventure was a month-long USA road trip with my husband, so let's start with the joys and frustrations of the road.

Blog Archive

Friday, October 19, 2012

Quilts in Colorado

Sculpture on the way into Denver

Days 28-29:  After Abilene, it was a straight shot to Denver, Colorado, where we stayed the night on the outskirts of town.  Denver is called the "mile high city" because its official elevation is exactly one mile (5,280 feet) above sea level.





The next morning broke beautiful and we drove into the city, admiring skyscrapers as well as the earthier side of life while making our way to the capitol building.


























We missed the birthday celebration by a couple
of years, but this sign, at least, was still up!





The Capitol Building in Denver. Colorado




I loved this gnarly tree outside the building.






Inside, we were surprised to find that the local quilting guild had a show. Being a quilter myself, I was thrilled!








 
The architecture and murals were grand, and the quilts were stunning!  Craftsmanship both old and new.










Looking up into the dome







 












Back outside, I snapped this picture of these apartment(?) buildings
just because I like the architecture.



After a stop at a bookstore across from the Capitol building, we headed out of town. This is a chunk of the Denver Art Museum (DAM) stretching out across the street. They advertise that they have DAM good art.



Next destination--The Rocky Mountains. Had to cross 'em to get home. I intended to cover this segment of the trip this week, but I find that I've spent too much time (and too many pictures) in Denver, so I'm going to put off the Rockies once more. But I promise we'll make it across the Great Divide in next week's blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment